Life Transitions Burial and Cremation Service inc. Has been and continues to be honoured to serve the families of Blenheim, Ontario.
Some believe that Blenheim was named after Blenheim Palace in England. However, articles written by historian Dr. Fred Landon in The News Tribune dated February 7, 1934, and historian Alvin Armstrong, both recount a party at the Samuel Brundage Inn in the early days of the settlement, at which local resident Mungo Samson gave a well-received recitation of the poem “The Battle of Blenheim.” This accordingly, is where the town got its name. Blenheim, Ontario had a general store by 1845. However, the town was not incorporated until 1885, some 40 years later. In 1837 James W. Little, a militia officer and land speculator of neighbouring Raleigh Township, purchased land at the intersection of Ridge Road and Communication Road, the latter planned by Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe to connect the town of Chatham with Lake Erie. The area consisted of fertile farmland noted for sugar beets, tomatoes, tobacco, and corn. Blenheim’s primary resource was timber. Once the bush was cleared adequately in about 1900, farming superseded timber as the key resource of Blenheim due to the area’s rich soil and ideal climate.